Friday 3 August 2012

Unwelcome telephone calls

-
A day or so ago we circulated via our Village newsletter an "Alert" from one of our residents -

AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM ONE OF OUR READERS

"I have just now received a telephone call, on my landline, from a man with an Indian accent asking for me by name and as "the man of the household," claiming to be from"windows." The display on my phone only showed "external call" and when I dialed 1471 afterwards there was a record only of the call being received, not of the number it was from. The caller said they had a record of a problem on my computer, and that it was "blocked, without your being aware of it." It was clear to me by then that this was a scam, and I cut them off at once. I spoke to the local police who confirm this sort of operation is prevalent at present, including locally, and sometimes goes with computer messages to the same effect. Since I had parted with neither computer details nor money, the police are not taking any further action. Perhaps a bit of warning to your public about this would be in order though. The details of the words used, as in my experience, and lack of calling number may be useful clues to others."



One amusing reponse from within our community was

"We too had a similiar call recently, asking if my husband was man of the house and was he able to make decisions regarding the household.



Luckily he's not able to make decisions as he knows better lol or god knows what he would have signed up for or divulged to them as he believes everything they say.


The caller display said international call so I suggest unless you are expecting a call from abroad dont bother answering it." 

 We "English" really do have a sense of humour ! 
---------

No comments: